The Embassy of Bangladesh in Tokyo has started issuance of Machine Readable Passport (MRP) since March 2014.
Hand-written passports are not being accepted for international travel since 25 November 2015. Therefore, all Bangladesh expatriates holding hand-written passports are advised to get MRPs immediately.
Following steps have to be followed for application of Machine Readable Passport (MRP) :
Step-1: Online Application
Applicants seeking Machine Readable Passport (MRP) has to apply online by accessing the following website:
After online application the applicant has to get the print out of filled out application form.
Step-2: Payment of fees
Applicable Fee: JPY 4,000 (For students only, student certificate is required)
JPY 12,000 (For others including non-student children)
Fees have to be deposited to the following Japan Post Bank account:
Account Name: EMBASSY OF BANGLADESH
Account No. 10080-73796751
Step-3: Submission of documents
On the appointment date and time, the applicant has to submit the printed online application form to the consular section of the Embassy along with the following documents:
-National ID card or digital Birth Registration Certificate with 17 digit birth registration code
-Existing Bangladesh passport along with copy of first 7 pages (hand-written passport), only the information pages (02 pages) of MRP
-Two passport size photographs [size: 55X45mm] on the application form. If the applicant is a child under 15 years, photograph of parents [30X25mm] are required to be attached on the application form. In certain cases ( if parents are divorced or either of the parent is not alive) photos of either father or mother will be accepted
– Original Receipt of payment of fees
The applicant must be physically present at the Embassy for giving his/her picture, finger print and signature electronically. This is a mandatory requirement for application of an MRP.
Step-4: Biometry at the MRP enrolment booth
Applicant’s fingerprints, signature on electronic pad and an electronic photograph will be taken at the enrolment booth of the Consular Section of the Embassy. Then the existing Bangladesh Passport of the applicant will be returned along with a delivery slip.
Step-5: Preparation of the passport
The data collected at the enrollment booth (fingerprints, signature, photograph, scanned documents) will be transmitted to Dhaka for getting the passport printed. The printed MRP will then be sent to the Embassy for delivery.
Setp-6: Delivery of passport
After enrollment, the applicant will be given a tentative date of delivery which is around 4 weeks from the date of enrollment. There is no provision of urgent delivery for MRP since the passports are processed and printed in Dhaka and sent to the Embassy by diplomatic bag which requires around 4 weeks. Upon receipt of the printed MRP from Dhaka, the Embassy will contact the applicant over telephone.
Once contacted, the applicant needs to come to the Embassy in person or send any other person with authorization letter or may request for by post delivery. The followings are required for receiving MRP –
– Existing Passport
– Delivery slip
For receiving passport by post the followings are required –
– Delivery slip
– Present passport
– Return envelope with name and address written on it (the envelope should be a suitable one for carrying the weight of multiple passports)
– Postage of JPY 580 or Letter Pack envelop
– A letter requesting the Embassy to send Passport by post and also mentioning that the Embassy will not be liable for any loss/damage in the process of by-post delivery.
- Renewal of MRP:
- Duly filled-in reissue form
- Copy of National ID card or online Birth Registration Certificate
- Existing Bangladesh passport along with a copy of the main pages (02 pages)
- Two passport size photographs [size: 55X45mm] on the application form
- If the applicant is a child under 15 years, photograph of parents [30X25mm] are required to be attached on the application form. In certain cases ( if parents are divorced or either of the parent is not alive) photos of either father or mother will be accepted
- Original Receipt of payment of fees
- The applicant must be physically present at the Embassy for giving his/her picture, finger print and signature electronically. For any exemption, please apply through the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Passport against Lost/ Damaged MRP:
In case of lost/damaged passport, following steps are to be followed:
a. Presence of the applicant in the Embassy for an interview
b. Produce following documents:
-Birth Certificate and nationality certificate duly attested by Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Dhaka
– Photocopy of previous passport
– Police report for the lost passport
c. Follow the steps for a Machine Readable Passport (MRP)
- MRP for Newborn Child:
Application for MRP for a newborn child requires following documents/procedure:
a. Child’s presence is necessary
b. Online Birth Registration Certificate
c. Parent’s Bangladesh passport. If husband’s name is not written on Mother’s passport, and if the applicant wants to record child’s father’s name in the child’s new passport, then the parent’s original marriage certificate along with photocopy must be submitted
d. Child’s original Birth Certificate (with information on parent’s name, date of birth, place of birth) along with its photocopy
e. Follow the steps for a Machine Readable Passport (MRP)
Applicable Fee: JPY 12,000
- Passport Correction: For any data correction in the existing Passport relevant supporting documents are required in addition to the regular requirements for reissue. For example: for correction of date/place of birth or name or permanent address or father/mother’s name Online Birth Certificate or National ID or SSC Certificate is required.
For Passport Application:
• For any query regarding passport (MRP) and all other consular services, please send e-mail to: email@example.com. You may also call +81 3 5704 9868. Please click on the link below for MRP Instructions in Bangla: